Monday 15 July 2013

Life has been a whirl!

It's hard to summarise my 'comings and goings' these last few months.....but if I've learnt anything....it's: grab every opportunity with both hands......you just never know what might happen.

February seems aeons ago now.....and with the long cold Winter, the late Spring and now this amazing hot weather, my illustration work has managed to sustain, inspire and engage me through all of it.....even though I've been painting in multitudes of stripey woollen layers or very cool wide legged comedy trousers. I've laughed and I've cried.......sometimes the going has been tough (especially illustrating goats!) and my hands have been frozen or the paint has dried, before it's even poured from the tube!

The good news is, I don't need much sleep, so I can concentrate fully on whatever project at whatever time of day!

So, to attempt a summary:




I'm currently illustrating 3 children's books: one, a very talented young author who has translated a Hebrew poem into English; another that I'd illustrated some initial work for but now some more artwork is required (please see illustration) and the final one is a lovely story about the relationship between a young girl and her 'cat' best friend, due for release at the end of the year.

I've got a couple of other illustrative and one soft toy project 'on the go' that at the moment, are 'under wraps'.

My cards are still going from strength to strength, with commissions from individuals for personalised Birthday cards and invitations and of course, regular work from my lovely existing handmade card clients!

I've also been asked to partake in a lot of teaching, reading and art workshops. I had a wonderful time at Newnham Middle School in Bedford, just before the Easter holidays; teaching an After School Illustration Club to 20 students. Taught over 5 weeks, for just over an hour each week- the student's artwork transformed and developed: each one (and me!) getting over the initial 'worry' to produce some truly fabulous work!

I enjoyed it so much, I was invited back on a bitterly cold and rainy day to paint an external mural with 25 students (in small groups of 4 throughout the day)........we managed most of the painting! It looks fantastic so far....... I hope to have some time to go back to finish it!

Since then, I have taught 2 Art Club lunch workshops in a local School and have been invited to take a position as an Artist in Residence at another School for 10 days in September. Big plans, big project......I can't wait!

I'm so sorry to 'sign off' but a bunny awaits.......please check out my Facebook illustration page for more updates and artwork:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kitty-Dinners-Illustration/200953076623957

1 comment:

  1. Under wraps maybe, but of course, Wonky Monkey sees all!
    2013 was full of stuffing placed in my path unexpectedly. Long story. It's starting to clear after a lot of personal input and yipee ... 2014's looking full of colour already.
    Catch up with all the wonder of your colourful World soon.
    Love and best
    Grant

    ReplyDelete